Tuesday 8 November 2016

OUIL404: Shape & Texture


Shape

I talked to Matt about the human quality of hand crafted shape making. The imperfections are what stood out for me. Digital shape making can be impersonal in it's perfect form.

I have a natural love of playing with blocks of colour but usually in a more abstract way and next to detailed imagery so just using blocks of colour to represent an orange was out of my comfort zone which was interesting.

Simple, abstract blocks of colour can be quickly recognised as a familiar object.
A pure, coloured shape is immediate and instantly asks the brain to try and identify the object. 


 
                          
I was happy with the outcomes. Using orange paper on white background allows the symbol of the orange (fruit) to be shown with different shapes. I think the more abstract square shape would work along side similar fruit illustrations but maybe not on it's own.

                                             
                                  
                                                                      Texture

I found the portrait task liberating in the sense that arranging the textured paper was random and quick. I quickly found that there was no limits to how 'realistic' the portrait could be and enjoyed the complete lack of rules.


The final outcome at first seemed insane and messy but I liked the energy and honesty of the portrait. It's an image that would be impossible to create with my usual drawing techniques.


These portraits I recognised and thought had big personality and were beautiful as stand alone works of art.




No comments:

Post a Comment