Thursday 4 April 2019

Reflection 3

Hanbury 

Hanbury was a reminder that it's possible to have a multi-disciplined practice. It's possible I won't end up doing just 2D illustration and I shouldn't restrict myself to 2D illustration. I feel just drawings and collage won't keep me fully satisfied forever and I want to try 3D/CGI illustration after seeing the stunning work on Dust Studio's site.

I had a great talk with Michael Crozier from Dust Studio who I've been in touch with and his CGI work had inspired me to be much more ambitious with my work and what skills I want to learn. He recommended drawing pads he uses and the best software for 3D. Learning the software and creating 3D work is for the future. More than anything it's inspirational seeing the of kind work Dusk Studio do and what's possible. 

The restrictions of my hand drawn illustrations is something I need to be ruthless about from a professional point of view. They take longer and because I'm working to a deadline, rather than drawing for pleasure or just to experiment, they are losing their purpose of communicating. I've been having fun playing with collage for my other project about animals/nature/trophy hunting because I'm less fussy and precious. I love drawing, and have developed a fluid, bolder way to draw, realising the importance of having confident, bold strokes. Switching to a brush pen has helped rather than my slightly hesitant pencil drawings which always felt not finished or committed somehow. 

However, in the creative industry I will need to collaborate, compromise, be fast and flexible in making adjustments to my work and right now my collage feels much more superior to my drawing as a problem solving method. I'm happy to keep playing and experimenting with my drawing but I'll keep pushing my collage work because it's allowed me to incorporate typography which I've shied away from when using drawings, which I've consistently struggled to gel with type in a coherent way. I want my work to be bold and clinical enough to stand alongside type. I love the contemporary journals and magazines such as Wired and feel collage fits better with the aesthetic realised through my article mock ups. 

Drawing is such a personal and hard earned process. Considering I started my degree only three years ago I have plenty of time to develop my drawing practice for future work and if I get success through the drawing then that's great but I also want to learn how to make work that really connects with people and I want to do what ever method is necessary to communicate to my audience. It's taken a while but I've realised the key is to communicate an idea, ideas are the most crucial part to being a creative and the process is merely the method you communicate best with. This might end up being film, photography or illustration but I can keep working on all at once. I believe I can excel at anything I try now I know how many hours I'm willing to work creatively. 



No comments:

Post a Comment