Sunday 5 March 2017

406: Sticker finals



Blue or blonde

My only decision now is to go with the blue sticker or the red/yellow version. What works for the brief? The blue is using two blues that are harmonious but the reds and yellows feel warmer. It's an interesting question of What is a kind colour? I've had a 50/50 response from people so far but my gut instinct says the blue feels more appropriate.

Process

I'm pleased with how my process flowed for the brief. I found my most promising idea through sketching (within the correct frame/restrictions) and developed it with further roughs. I didn't lose focus or become indecisive which is a sign of progression in my process when it comes to closing in on an idea decisively.

What was successful/any mistakes?
She has a warmness to her which is what I wanted and the hand holding her shoulder gesture to comfort herself comes through well. I purposely used soft, curved shapes which really helps to give a sense of comfort. Simple things such as what shapes you use in an image are very important tools in communicating a message or feeling. Rigid angles or squares wouldn't work as well.

Perhaps I could of made an even more simple character that might connect with more people?
How simple can you go before losing the human connection with the audience?
She has simple features but does she resonate with all kinds of people? I hope so, my intention was to for it to connect with everyone but maybe I'm over thinking it.  



New skills

Doing this brief has definitely led to a big boost in my knowledge of how to Illustrator. I've got a good grasp of the basics and feel confident in creating simple vector images. It was good to just play around and figure out the shortcuts and pathway tools - initially it seems rigid but the tracing is easy once you get the hang of it. There were some really frustrating moments but that's all part of the fun. Like with Photoshop I think I'll learn as I go with Illustrator and figure it out for myself and can always ask one of the technicians, who seem to know everything luckily.

What next?
Wacom tablets - I want to use the tablets for tracing free hand with the pen as this might be less time consuming and more natural, with mistakes and all.   
The vectors are perfect for creating logos and simple images but I'm not converted at this point by vectors in comparison with hand drawn/textured illustration. It feels less emotionally powerful but I can see how vectors can be excellent for accurate, polished images.


No comments:

Post a Comment