Friday 24 March 2017

OUIL406: Northern Ballet - Company Chameleon 'Witness'

Witness

I'm glad I went to see this dance even if it is late in the project, because I was able to see and feel the physical movement of the dancers up close. It was an intense dance about coping with mental health. The emotional investment was immense - it was the Martha Graham philosophy of using dance to express raw emotion.


It was very inspirational for the project in the sense that I have a much better understanding of the movement. It was a more brutal and raw movement than graceful and it will help me finalise my illustrations with a more accurate tone.


I can see how it requires the constant, disciplined conditioning that Graham demanded as some of the interactions and movements of the dancers would simply break a normal person physically. The strain must be horrendous on the body. Definitely a lot of respect for the dancers.








No comments:

Post a Comment