Friday 17 March 2017

406 - Martha Graham

 Layer, repetition, movement

The drawings I started with below I'm scrapping after my tutorial because they don't capture the movement of Graham's dancing or any of the aspects like repetition or the violence she had in her movements.


I've decided to try new things and be out of my comfort zone. It's really been beneficial. I'm getting results I've never had before and like it - I'm definitely enjoying the freedom using big brush strokes gives me. Working at a bigger scale the brush strokes create much more movement and action that drawings ever could. Black ink is perfect for the jarring violence of Graham's choreography. The red paint also works for her exploration of deep inner human emotions and sexual expression.  





Digital

I've tried a few digital experiments which allows me to use textures from landscapes that are appropriate for her style of dance. Rocky landscape photos of the coast line I took recently are symbolically powerful of her uncompromising attitude and philosophy towards her dancing. Photoshop is useful too for repeating images and creating transparent layering for her ideas on practice and discipline.



Chosen direction

Using black ink and found image is the method I'm going to refine and eventually adjust digitally.
I may need to keep the ink marks and collages separate and layer on top of each other digitally
I want the ink marks to create movement and the collages of body parts can merge into the ink markings and with help with composition and act as lines of sight.
Ink markings are more fluid and expressive - collage body parts are rigid and recreate her contract and release movements which were more jarring and aggressive.




No comments:

Post a Comment