Monday 15 January 2018

LAUIL503 - Moving Pictures - Reflective report



https://vimeo.com/251138684

I was concerned I'd not left much time to create an interesting sting but found the process surprisingly easy to manipulate and bring the illustrations to life.
The workshops were really valuable and playing with the basic tools was enough to create the story board I wanted.
I should have spent more time generating ideas in my visual journal after finishing the Printed Pictures but once I became comfortable with the tools I felt able to figure the final sequence out as I went along.
I was careful to have a loose storyboard idea in my head but still let the sound dictate the movement of the images.
There's such a thing as singing sand dunes and this eerie sound fit perfectly with the mood I wanted of experiencing something unnerving. The good depth of research meant I found a soundtrack that captured the feeling I wanted perfectly, being careful to only use free sound effects.

The feedback from peers and friends was very positive which was good to hear and it's ignited a serious interest in creating more animations. It's also exciting to see what is possible with just a very basic knowledge of After Effects - making the animations I researched look less intimidating.

Spending more time in the studio had a positive effect on my overall productivity. The studio environment was a nice change from my usual habit of doing the bulk of my work at home and because I needed to use the After Effects software at university it was another long term positive outcome of working on the brief - the general atmosphere was bright and professional giving me the confidence to come in to the studio more knowing I will be able to concentrate and have a solid environment I can come in to purely work in and treat my home as more of a place to relax.

After spending time playing with After Effects and seeing the outcome after just a few hours work I'm shifting my preference to a more digital process of working. I intend to research more simple but effective animations as it will be a useful skill to have, if only to animate my own illustrations as well as promoting my work in a more diverse way. Any illustrations I do from now on I will be conscious of how I can play with them and might move but will be conscious of applying the same principals I've learnt making images as it is a different craft all together.




No comments:

Post a Comment