Tuesday 31 January 2017

OUIL404: Diorama

Diorama 

Once again I think it's all about making stuff and making mistakes. From the diorama I can take aspects that surprised me and like and also the things that don't work when analysing my practice as a whole. 



The experimentation is something I'm trying to bring together with my drawing.
What I need to do is be selective with which experiments/tests work together.
I'm still trying to cram everything I've been trying into one image, making the finished image confusing for the viewer. 
With the diorama I needed to simplify the cutouts and keep them separate from my more detailed pen strokes. That or just keep the cutout and drawn details consistent throughout the image. 
Things that worked
The brown paper added a nice texture and depth and worked well the piles of earth(without the pen drawn on top). Blocks of red used worked well to create a central line of sight from the figure at the bottom up to the trees at the top and I'm gradually thinking more and more about the effect shapes and lines have on the viewer. The diggers can be used as a frame to keep the viewer's gaze central. It's interesting to see how subtle changes in the arrangement can completely alter the line of sight. I'm realising how crucial composition is and that lines drawn on the page are needed to make you think about what or who is the main focus in the image. In the past I've always spend a long time moving things around on the page until the image works, all the time without having composition tools in mind before or after I'd finished the work. 
Considering what the arrangement will be before I even start drawing is tricky I find. But I suppose a drawing can be worked around and made to work or even be made more powerful with a few simple adjustments around the drawing to increase it's importance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment