Wednesday 11 January 2017

Book tutorial

The tutorial was critical but I'm only thinking positively about the criticism.
Although I've done plenty of testing and experimenting I now need to focus on refining my ideas.
I need to slow down my drawing and be refined and controlled in order to bring all my loose testing together.


The overall feedback was good but things I have missed are composition and communicating joy and celebration through people. I need to find references for crowds of people at festivals and people in more active poses to give the book some energy and charm.

Experimental for the sake of it
It's good to be experimental and take risks but I haven't taken a breath to stop and reflect on where all the tests are taking me. I've filled a book with drawings and found constantly messing around with lots of testing is a kind of creative procrastination that delays me from making decisions and developing the book.

Digital layering
I've layered some of the drawings with the tests with paint to get a rough idea.
I like the texture and busy noise of colour and shapes but it needs to be thought out more carefully and each layer needs to work with the other layers in mind rather than slapping them together and hoping for the best.


Digital

I really like the digital tests I did using filters and photos I had taken but they don't seem right for the themes of my book. The hand drawn pictures will get the themes of celebration across better then the digitals. Perhaps the digitals are too cold and clinical now the story of the book has changed. They would of been appropriate for my trees communicating idea but not the new direction.









No comments:

Post a Comment