Monday 19 December 2016

OUIL405: Tell an Untold Story - Sketchbook ideas

Wood Wide Web

I've sketched a few ideas out for the 'internet' that connects the trees together via mycelia, a huge fungal network that connects thousands of trees.

Diagrams - I think diagrams and symbols are going to be useful in the book and there are lots of ways of communicating the concepts.



I have an idea of a chaotic, silent internet underground that we can't see

I'm thinking about snapshots of electrical pulses like a nervous system

Apparently it's like a collective consciousness like a huge brain




I'm happy with the fine pen drawings below for tree rings.


They're a good, simple symbol that would make an interesting pattern

The expanding larger, outer rings could be signals beaming out to other trees about dangers from invading insects


I need to think about a way to illustrate the communication between trees. Both airborne signals and underground.

I 've thought about the ancient respect trees have had through the centuries and the stories that surround them.

I could be imaginative with the way they communicate instead of being purely a factual book.
Sticking flowers into the book alongside scientific text might be confusing if the text isn't relevant.


I've been using red and black ink for all the sketches and more and more felt overlapping the black and red symbols and diagrams is a powerful colour combination to continue exploring.

I can't help feeling a Japanese influence is creeping in and will research Japanese landscapes and illustrations to see if I can use it as an influence for the aesthetic of the book.


It's been nice to use gouache in such a free way and it's really effective for creating trees for possible landscapes. I don't normally use paints as I'm not confident with my painting skills but it does add a charm to the tone of the sketches.





No comments:

Post a Comment